My Photo
Name:

Hi there! I'm Merry, married to Husband for 43 years, 2 grown daughters, 5-1/2 cats (one's feral), 1 dog, living on a little acreage in the Midwest. I am a Christian and like writing Inspirational Christian romance (I have several books out) travel, reading, history, archaeology, sewing, quilting, and writing.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Tiling...

The preparation for tiling the laundry room and both bathrooms has commenced.

Last year I won and auction at a lumber supply company going out of business. I got 41 boxes of glossy white tile for $82. Its retail value was around $1,000.00.

We decided the white tile would go in the laundry room. However, after pricing the really nice tiles, borders and sets, we decided that the white tiles would also go in the bathrooms! The only problem is...the tiles are white and glossy. Kind of boring, actually. So how could we liven them up?

When we renovated a bathroom about 15 years ago, we put a tile mural on the wall. We decided to do this again. Part of the reason that house sold so quickly was because of the tile mural or so the new owners said.

I searched high and low on the Internet for a pretty mural. There are dozens. I started looking at custom tiles done for other people. Then I had this bright idea...what if WE did custom tiles? The search was on.

As my readers, family and friends know, this house will have a Western/Southwestern feel to it. I found some photographs of our trip to Mesa Verde and our trip to Hovenweep in Utah. Hovenweep is an ancient Native American ruin. The pictures are stunning.

CafePress.com allows you to create your own custom tiles. I decided that I'd make single 4.24 X 4.25 tiles of the prettier photos of Hovenweep. After much agonizing, I selected 8 photos. After about 5 hours of practice, reading and some not-so-nice words, I figured out how to transfer the photos to the website in proper format for the company.

I also plan to have a company that makes murals do a 12 tile mural of one photo. Below is one of the more stunning photos - the sky is blue AND a pale, glorious turquoise! Not sure if its visible but that's a marmot on top of the high peak - we weren't close enough to really tell, but we're almost certain (grin).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home