My Photo
Name:

Hi there! I'm Merry, married to Husband for 43 years, 2 grown daughters, 5-1/2 cats (one's feral), 1 dog, living on a little acreage in the Midwest. I am a Christian and like writing Inspirational Christian romance (I have several books out) travel, reading, history, archaeology, sewing, quilting, and writing.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

POURING CONCRETE...

So, Richard and I, amateurs that we are, decided to pour our own stair-step pad. It's easy with Quikcrete, right? Here's the results...



Richard spent two days digging out and leveling the area. Then he built the form and installed it. This was the first indication that this may not be quite as easy as we thought.



Richard then laid the bottom of the form with sand, rocks and rebar. He wrapped the porch so we wouldn't get the cedar decking messy. The stairs are jacked up because the contractor made them before we poured the pad (we didn't know much back then).



The first two loads are dumped in. We had to do it a bag at a time because the concrete mixer was too heavy for me to handle...and Richard couldn't handle it alone.



Here I am being a mortar dog...or whatever its called. The person who pushes the mortar around.



About the time I finished my job, we realized that we were running out of concrete. I hopped in the car and drove to the local DIY hardware store...and bought 10 more bags. That should do it, thinks we...



We got this far with the 10 new bags of 'crete...and ran out. And the pad isn't level...oh, no! So off I got to the store to get 3 more bags. But while I was there, I thought "Self, if I have to drive this road again"...so I got 10 more bags. It was a good thing. Richard called when I was halfway home to get MORE than 3, too. Great minds think alike.



Richard puts the final touch on our 40 bag concrete pad. Life is good. And whoever said it was easy deserves to be hit with a two-by-four!

P.S. The contractor complimented Richard and I on working well together. He said we did a good job and made a good team. We also play well with others and don't run with scissors...LOL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home