My Photo
Name:

Hi there! I'm Merry, married to Husband for 43 years, 2 grown daughters, 5-1/2 cats (one's feral), 1 dog, living on a little acreage in the Midwest. I am a Christian and like writing Inspirational Christian romance (I have several books out) travel, reading, history, archaeology, sewing, quilting, and writing.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The tricky cabinet...

Nathan, the cabinetmaker, is here! Due to inclement weather he has been delayed several times but finally, he's here. Since I wanted my stove and micro/convection oven in a corner because I had windows with a view on both sides it created a host of problems cabinet-wise. We used stock cabinets throughout the kitchen but the corner issues and the venting required a professional. Enter, Nathan.

While talking to him about things he could do, I mentioned my little lunch counter idea. He offered to make a table out of hickory to match floor and cabinets. I looked around at my kitchen and decided, "Yeah, I'd like that!" I wanted to be sure that he'd get me lots of knots and grains in the wood, though. I prefer the rustic look. He said he had some lovely pieces. Today he brought the table/lunch counter in. Oh, my. He said one of the boards was splitting so he used a wood called purple heart and made little butterfly "pins" to hold it together. He placed the butterflies randomly in the table top. He allowed for the wood to warp underneath as the seasons changed. I love the sleekness of the contemporary look...and the rustic look of a craftsman. He satisfied both mine and Richard's tastes on several levels. Here is the table (out of place):



It looks lovely even though its not in its place yet.



Here is a not very good view of the table top with the butterfly "pins."

Right now, Nathan is working on the corner cabinet so those pictures will have to wait for a couple hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home