My Photo
Name:

Hi there! I'm Merry, married to Husband for 43 years, 2 grown daughters, 5-1/2 cats (one's feral), 1 dog, living on a little acreage in the Midwest. I am a Christian and like writing Inspirational Christian romance (I have several books out) travel, reading, history, archaeology, sewing, quilting, and writing.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Now that my mother-in-law lives nearby in a nursing facility, the highlight of her week is when I bring the dogs in to visit. Most times I do it on a Saturday, but this week I did it today, a Sunday.

Loading up the dogs is easy. They love to go for rides. Both dogs are leashed and attached to seatbelts, but Echo hangs out the window in typical dog fashion. If I go over 45 miles per hour she comes back in and starts to whine. The wind blows her ears back and pushes at her eyeballs, drying them out. Therefore, our progress the 18 miles to town is slow. Fortunately, we live on rural roads, so this is no problem since our only traffic is the occasional Amish buggy, a tractor or other farm equipment, and passing cars and trucks.

Yes, Amish buggies. I live in the heart of an Amish community and when I drive in town on Saturdays, I stop at one of the crossings and buy pastries from 2 Amish children who sit in their buggy and sell. The roads are interesting here because on very hot days when the tar is a little melted, the buggy tracks are very visible in the tarmac for weeks.

Driving in this fashion I get to see wildlife up close and personal. Today's count:

2 turtles crossing the road (one was in the same place, coming and going!)
3 young tom turkeys (the last one tried to wait and cross in front of me)
4 deer - 2 does and 2 yearlings - no spots on the kids
1 billy goat ( the goat is apparently a horse's companion, they are never far apart)
1 beagle dog (standing in the middle of the road forcing me to go around him)

Mom loved seeing the dogs and when we walked her to lunch, a bunch of seniors were out in the hallway waiting to head into the cafeteria and wanted to see the dogs. Although Echo and Flint are still reluctant around strangers, I hauled them over for a pet and a paw shake. Figured since we'll be there often, might as well get them used to the idea.

Rural life is different. I like it, though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home