My Photo
Name:

Hi there! I'm Merry, married to Husband for 43 years, 2 grown daughters, 5-1/2 cats (one's feral), 1 dog, living on a little acreage in the Midwest. I am a Christian and like writing Inspirational Christian romance (I have several books out) travel, reading, history, archaeology, sewing, quilting, and writing.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Monday - April 17, 2006

Pa went up early this morning to begin putting the steel roof onto the shed. He worked steadily while Mom and I drove into town to do shopping. Today we had to fill the gas cans for the lawn mower/tiller/tractor, get water for coffee (the well water tastes GREAT, but makes terrible coffee for some reason) and sugar for the hummingbird feeders. Yes, the hummers are back. At least 2 males and 1 female at this time.



Pa finished most of the roof by this afternoon.



Mom takes a break and watches Pa up on the roof.



I'm standing in front of my now-roofed shed.



A look on the inside, straight up.













Pa spent the morning moving around the back and sides of the shed. This afternoon when Mom and I came up to visit I brought Flint and Echo. I tied Echo to the trailer and let Flint nose around as he usually does. At the back of the shed, he suddenly snorted and began rooting in the leaves. Pa was standing off to one side and went over to see what he was fussing about. There in the leaves was a tiny baby rabbit. Its eyes weren't even opened yet! Pa picked it up and it tried to jump out of his hands! We searched for more but there were none. Pa had stomped all over the area all morning and the rabbit wasn't there before. A little more searching revealed an exposed and empty rabbit hole (the soft fur around the edges clued us in). Pa stuck his hand down the hole but felt nothing - no other rabbits. We put the baby back in the hole and covered it with a branch, then piled leaves on the branch to hide it. Afterwards, Pa said he realized that he stuck his down the hole without thinking - what if the predator had been a snake and was still down there???

I set up the game cam on the stump next to the hole. We are praying the mother rabbit will come back and take her baby. We're hoping to capture pictures of her returning. Either that...or we'll get pictures of the predator that disturbed the nest in the first place (Gulp! Not sure I want to view that). If the baby is still there tomorrow, I'm not sure what we'll do. I know one can raise a wild animal but this baby is so very young, not sure if he'll live or not. Maybe I can find a wild animal person at the Conservation Corps. We'll see.



Echo had alerted to something in the road but just as I snapped the photo, she looked away.



Flint takes a break from his hard work of today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home